As of today, Instagram Stories is a year old. Stories is a feature on Instagram, similar to Snapchat, which allows followers to post pictures and videos taken within the last 24 hours or have live video sessions where followers can tune in. According to one AdWeek article “Stories was a way for users to get away from only posting highlights of their lives.” By incorporating this feature into the social media platform Instagram created a home for the everyday moments that some users may deem an impulse capture but not necessarily Instagram feed worthy.
Instagram stories can also be executed by brands looking to engage with their followers. For example, J.Crew used the Instagram’s Stories feature to launch GIFs and photos of exclusive pink sunglasses being sold to followers. There were only fifty pairs being sold and the short-lived nature of the social networking tool reinforced the hype behind the limited series launch.
Using the twenty-four hour social networking feature that captures over forty percent of millennial and generation-Z users on a daily basis, the J.Crew campaign for it’s pink sunglasses sold out in a day. The use of Stories created an immediate need to obtain an item that wouldn’t be available the next day. Though it was a very limited release, Stories was able to create a fear of missing out among loyal customers resulting in a sold out product.
- 700 Million+ people worldwide use Instagram every single month.
- 400 Million+ people worldwide use Instagram every day.
- Those under the age of 25 spend more than 32 minutes a day on Instagram.
- 250 Million+ Instagrammers use stories every day.
- 80% of Instagrammers follow a business on Instagram.
- Over 50% of businesses on Instagram produced an Instagram Story.